Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cushing's: Disease of the Night

Cushing's is a disease of the night. Fluctuating cortisol levels keep our bodies captive in a sleepless cave: one night, we may find sleep; other nights, it eludes us.

After drudging through a day of dental work and laundry yesterday, I was happy to climb in bed early. I slept soundly from 9 pm to 12:40 am.

-- ZING -- My eyes popped open.

I was wide awake until 5 am but i was to restless to sleep. My toddler daughter woke up extra early at 6 am, and I think I dozed off with her in the bed with me around 7:30 am. She played on my iPhone. She woke me up at 7:50 am, pulling the lamp string on and off, saying "Mama get up. Get uuuuppppp. Get uuuuppppp. Get uuuuppppp. Get uuuuppppp." So, because her life depended on it, I got up. We were up until we napped from 3-5 pm. I was awake from 12:40 am to 3:00 pm. Now, it is 10:00 am, I hope I can sleep through the night. If you see Mr. Sandman hanging around Go, please send him my way.

Despite my two batches of high test results and the tumor sighting, my body insists on pumping out more cortisol. I don't need all the extra anymore! Oh, I just realized. I didn't cc: my body on the email below, giving it a reprieve from all that cortisol pumping. I forgot to announce that it doesn't have to perform on command anymore (not that it really ever did but it succeed in doing the opposite aka Costanza's move). I failed to mention that there is no need to show off its full-figured, more-to-love cortisol stock pile anymore. So listen up, T-T-T-Tumor Willison Phillips. I am almost to surgery. Let's all try to get along and get some rest. No more midnight parties, please. I know you know the end is near, that your days are numbered. I hope you do go down without a fight, because whether you like it or not, I'm gonna have to cut you out of my life. Capice?

-m