[note: the radiologist read this 19-month post op MRI as a normal post operative scan. Radiologists are often wrong. I repeat, Radiologists are often wrong! You must have your pituitary MRIs read by a neurosurgeon. Do not stop pushing for a Cushing's until you get it].
Dr. [Neurosurgeon] is awaiting a final letter from you regarding your findings and recommendations. He is willing to accept me as his surgical patient for a second pituitary surgery. Since your last email, I have a second positive value: a high on a salivary cortisol test supporting hypercortisolemia. It occurred the same night as my high midnight serum cortisol draws on 2/11/11. MN cortisol serums (normal
2011-02-12 @ 0037 – 1.9 (ug/dL)
2011-02-12 @ 0007 – 3.1 2011-02-11 @ 0035 – 9.7 // diagnostic for Cushing's 2011-02-11 @ 0010 – 8.4 // diagnostic for Cushing's 2011-02-10 @ 0045 – 8.7 // diagnostic for Cushing's 2011-02-10 @ 0015 –11.1 // diagnostic for Cushing's 2011-02-09 @ 0040 - 9.2 // diagnostic for Cushing's
2011-02-09 @ 0010 - 9.8 // diagnostic for Cushing's 2011-02-08 @ 0023 - 5.6 // suggestive of Cushing's 2011-02-07 @ 0030 - 5.1 // suggestive of Cushing's
2011-02-07 @ 0000 - 5.0 // suggestive of Cushing's 2011-02-06 @ 0034 – 3.3
2011-02-06 @ 0013 – 2.6
MN salivary cortisol (normal
2011-02-12 @ 0034 – 0.051 2011-02-12 @ 0009 – 0.071 2011-02-11 @ 0033 –0.180 // diagnostic for Cushing's (CORTISOL DOUBLED IN 29 MINUTES) 2011-02-11 @ 0004 – 0.087 2011-02-09 @ 0045 – 0.085 Based on these findings, are you ready to clear me for a second pituitary surgery? Dr (neurosurgeon) reviewed the benefits and risks of a second pituitary surgery. He mentioned the short-term possibility of diabetes insipidus and cited the chance for a cerebrospinal fluid leak to be 15-20%, which would require a few more days in the hospital lying flat on my back. We discussed fertility, and Dr. McCutcheon stated that having a second pituitary surgeon would like hurt the chances of maintaining fertility going forward. My husband and I discussed fertility after the appointment. We both agreed that the next step is a second pituitary surgery. We both struggle with my compromised quality of life, and we know that, above all else, is our top priority. We are not willing to consider a bilateral adrenalectomy (BLA) now, since there is a clear target for pituitary surgery, and a life on replacement steroids is scary for us. A miracle baby will follow if it is meant to be. We are still excited for what the future holds for us. I look forward to your recommendations, and I hope surgery will be in my near future. Sincerely, Melissa
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 12:37 AM, my Los Angeles endocrinologist: These look high-let's see the stuff you sent to the Esoterix lab and [the neurosurgeon's] read on your mri. I like to see a 2nd positive value [indicating high cortisol].
Glad you are happy.
*********** Can you see me smiling from ear to ear! I am so happy!!!