Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sample Letter: Get your Medical Records

I spoke about getting all of your medical records in my TIPS post above.
Please feel free to copy and paste this sample letter.

******



DATE


ATTN: MEDICAL RECORDS

Dr. FirstName Lastname
Address
City, State Zip


RE: RELEASE OF MEDICAL RECORDS


I, NameOfPatient, am writing today to request that my medical records are released to me.

Patient: NameofPatient
DOB: ___/___/___
Cell: (___) _______
Date of Service: ______ to _____


Please release all medical information, including:

1. clinic notes from doctor and/nurse
2. all lab results
3. other medical records submitted from previous doctors
4. weight history
5. blood pressure history
6. pulse history
7. all reports from x-rays, scans, and/or MRIs

Please mail my medical records to:

NameOfPatient
Street Address
City, State Zip

According to the federal HIPAA, medical providers must release medical records to the patient when the request is made in writing. This request must be processed within 2 weeks. Please accept this letter as my formal request for my medical records.

Your prompt attention to this matter will be very much appreciated. If you have any questions or experience delays in processing my request, please contact me on my cell phone, as listed above.


Sincerely yours,




NameOfPatient
Cell phone